As many learning activities move online, the need for fun and interactive educational experiences is apparent. Luckily, the World Climate Simulation that you know and love is adaptive to the virtual classroom format, and the resources below will guide you through how you can facilitate the game for your students.
You aren’t familiar with World Climate? Watch this orientation video to learn more about the arc of the game. For more information and facilitator resources, view our World Climate for Classroom page.
materials and facilitator Resources
If you are an educator interested in learning about the World Climate Simulation and how to facilitate an engaging session online, the How to Facilitate A World Climate Simulation Virtually webinar recording will get you up to speed.
REGISTERING YOUR EVENT: All of the following resources are free to use and we kindly ask that you take a minute to register your event before running World Climate in your community. This is important for helping us track adoption of the resource and learn how we can better support educators.
Preparation Materials for Educators
The Climate Change Initiative Team converted many facilitation materials into Google suite documents to aid your online event and foster collaboration among your event facilitators. Please copy and paste these templates into new documents for editing and distribution.
Template for Resources and Instructions (Optional)
If you prefer to download and save PDFs to your computer, you can access materials below.
Included in the link above are:
- World Climate Facilitator Guide
- World Climate Facilitator Script
- World Climate Online Tips
- World Climate Slide Deck*
- World Climate Supplemental Slides
- Materials for students (Briefing Statements, Proposal Forms, Virtual Backgrounds)*
Additional Materials you will need include:
* denotes the material is required for the simulation
Materials to send to Participants before the Simulation:
To save time during the event, you can assign students to their roles beforehand and provide a brief orientation to the simulation. We recommend that you include these two videos and documents to prepare students with the knowledge and materials they will need the day of the event.
- Helpful videos to orient students to the simulation and climate science.
- Assign students to their roles and provide the materials below (copy and paste templates)
- Event-specific Teams and Materials google sheets document
- Event-specific Pledge Scoreboard google sheets document
watch an online session of world climate
The Climate Change Initiative and Climate Interactive hosted an online session of the World Climate Simulation that you can now watch! In the video, you can hear how facilitators:
- organize and launch breakout rooms in Zoom
- share materials such as briefing statements and virtual backgrounds
- orchestrate negotiations across teams via breakouts