Research and teaching in the Sobkowicz-Kline Group is at the convergence of materials and engineering for environmental sustainability. We are interested in the role that polymeric materials can play in creative solutions to the critical challenges our society faces on this planet.
We have ongoing projects studying structure-property relationships and novel synthesis techniques for bio-based and biodegradable polymers. We focus on processing strategies for improving properties and expanding applications of these bioplastics.
We are also interested in electroactive polymers for new energy applications, such as organic photovoltaics and efficient thermal management. Our current research is focused on development of new green manufacturing techniques of these novel energy materials.
Biobased Plastics Processing
Dr. Margaret Sobkowicz
Associate Professor, Plastics Engineering
121 Ball Hall, UMass Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854
- Calderón BA, McCaughey MS, Thompson CW, Sobkowicz MJ; Blends of Renewable Poly(Butylene Succinate) and Poly(Propylene Carbonate) Compatibilized with Maleic Anhydride Using Quad Screw Reactive Extrusion. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research 2019, 58, 1, 487-495 (10.1021/acs.iecr.8b04757)
- Tan B, Pan H, Li H, Minus MH, Sobkowicz MJ; Improving Charge Carrier Mobility of Polymer Blend Field Effect Transistors with Majority Insulating Polymer Phase. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2018 122 (5), 2918 – 2930.
- Bi S, Sobkowicz MJ; Enzymatic Degradation of Poly (butylene succinate-co-hexamethylene succinate). Polymer Degradation and Stability 2018 155, 9 – 14.
- Gug JI, Soule J, Tan B, Sobkowicz MJ; Effects of chain-extending stabilizer on bioplastic poly (lactic acid)/polyamide blends compatibilized by reactive extrusion. Polymer Degradation and Stability 2018, 153, 118-129
- Farahanchi A, Malloy R, Sobkowicz MJ; Extreme shear processing for exfoliating organoclay in nanocomposites with incompatible polymers. Polymer 2018 145 (6) 117 – 126.
- Tan B, Bi S, Emery K, Sobkowicz MJ; Bio-based poly (butylene succinate-co-hexamethylene succinate) copolyesters with tunable thermal and mechanical properties. European Polymer Journal 2017 86, 162-172.
- Hussain, ARJ; Alahyari, AA; Eastman, SA; Thibaud-Erkey, C; Johnston, S; Sobkowicz, MJ; Review of polymers for heat exchanger applications: Factors concerning thermal conductivity. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 113, 1118-1127.
- Chen X, Sobkowicz MJ; Decoupling the effects of screw speed and particle surface functionality on the filler suspension state in PBS/fumed silica nanocomposites. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics 2016, 54 (18), 1820-1828.
- Farahanchi A, Malloy R, Sobkowicz MJ; Effects of Ultra-High Speed Twin Screw Extrusion on the Thermal and Mechanical Degradation of Polystyrene. Polymer Engineering and Science 2016 56 (7), 743-751.
- Gug J, Cacciola D and Sobkowicz, MJ; Processing and properties of a solid energy fuel from municipal solid waste (MSW) and recycled plastics. Waste Management 2015, 35, 283-292.
- Chen X, Gug J, Sobkowicz MJ; Role of Polymer/Filler Interactions In the Linear Viscoelasticity of Poly(butylenesuccinate)/Fumed Silica Nanocomposite 2014, Composites Science and Technology 95, 8-15.
- Sobkowicz MJ, Jones, RL, Kline, RJ, DeLongchamp DM; Effect of fullerenes on crystallization-induced aggregation in polymer photovoltaics casting solutions. Macromolecules 2012, 45(2) 1046-1055.
- Sobkowicz MJ, Dorgan JR, Feaver JL; Clean and green bioplastic composites: Comparison of calcium sulfate and carbon nanospheres in polylactide composites, CLEAN – Soil Air Water 2008, 36, 8, 706-713.
Toward a circular economy: Tackling the plastics recycling problem – The Conversation, January 16, 2019
- Materials for renewable energy
- Polymer Materials I