Environmental Health, Chemicals Policy, Pollution Prevention, Risk Assessment
Development of innovative scientific methods and policies to implement a precautionary and preventive approach to decision-making under uncertainty. Research and development of model long-term chemicals policies and application of the precautionary principle in environmental science and policy. Areas of teaching and research interests include regulatory science and policy, risk assessment, and cleaner production.
- Other: Cleaner Production and Pollution Prevention, (2000), University of Massachusetts Lowell – Lowell, MA
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Precaution in Practice: A Framework for Implementing the Precautionary Principle.
- Ph D: Work Environment, Cleaner Production and Pollution, (2000), University of Massachusetts at Lowell, – Lowell, MA, USA
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Dissertation: Precaution in Practice: A Framework for Implementing the Precautionary Principle.
- MS: Environmental Studies, (1993), University of Montana, Missoula, MT, USA – Missoula, MT, USA
- BA: Spanish with concentration in Environmental Science, (1989), Colby College, Waterville – Waterville, ME, USA
- Zhang, Y. (University of Massachusetts Lowell), Tickner, J. (2018) “Reinvigorating engagement and collaboration through interprofessional education (RECIPE) in nursing and public health students”, Journal of Nursing Education and Practice
- Hjorth, R., Hansen, S.F., Jacobs, M., Tickner, J., Ellenbecker, M., Baun, A. (2017) “The applicability of chemical alternatives assessment for engineered nanomaterials”, Integrated environmental assessment and management 13:1 pp. 177–187
- Tickner, J., Becker, M. (2016) “Mainstreaming green chemistry: The need for metrics”, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry 1: pp. 1–4
- Exceeding Excellence Award Nominee – UMASS Lowell, Student Government Association
- Student Government Association Exceeding Excellence Award Nominee – UMASS Lowell, Student Government Association
- Policy Leader, (2008), Leadership – North American Hazardous Waste Managers Association
- Policy Leader, North American Hazardous Waste Managers Association (2008) – Awarded to Chemicals Policy Initiative Directed by Joel Tickner
- Pollution Prevention Champion (2008) – National Pollution Prevention Roundtable
- Faculty Teaching Award (2006), Teaching – Department of Community Health and Sustainability, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Pioneer of Precaution Award, First National Summit on the Precautionary Principle (2006)
- President’s Award for Public Service (2005) – University of Massachusetts
- Top Scientist Award, (2004), Service, Professional – Clean Water Action Alliance
- Distinguished Guest Lecturer, (2003), Leadership – Executive Environmental Management Course, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Glaverbel Endowed Chair in European Studies, (2002), Service, Professional – University Catholique du Louvain, Belgium
- Barry Commoner Award (2001) – Department of Work Environment University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Reinvigorating engagement and collaboration through interprofessional education (RECIPE) in nursing and public health students – the 26th Annual Conference for Nurse Educators, May 2018 – North Falmouth, MA,